Agriculture & agro-industry | Specialized design office
Environmental impact: the case of agriculture in an emerging country
Assess the impact of agriculture on the environment in a developing country and propose sustainable solutions to promote environmentally-friendly agriculture
Sustainable agriculture for a preserved environment
The aim of this project is to carry out an in-depth environmental study to assess the impact of agriculture on the environment in a specific developing country. Agriculture can have a significant impact on natural resources, biodiversity, greenhouse gas emissions and water quality. This study will identify farming practices that have a negative impact on the environment, and propose sustainable solutions to promote environmentally-friendly agriculture, improve natural resource management and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Cayambe was hired to carry out this assessment.
The following team was mobilized:
- An environmental expert
- An expert in agriculture and agronomy
- An expert in water management
- A specialist in natural resource management
- A specialist in environmental modeling
- An environmental economist
The project is run over 2 years by a project manager and technically supervised by the Cayambe Agriculture/Agronomy Manager.
The team set up by Cayambe carried out the following actions:
- Carry out a detailed inventory of predominant farming practices, identifying cropping systems, use of agricultural inputs, soil and water management, and agricultural waste management practices
- Assess the environmental impacts of agriculture, such as soil degradation, water pollution, loss of biodiversity, greenhouse gas emissions, and effects on air quality and water resources
- Identify environmental risk factors related to agriculture, such as climate change, unsustainable agricultural expansion, overexploitation of natural resources and intensive farming practices
- Propose specific recommendations to promote sustainable agriculture, including soil management practices, water conservation, biodiversity protection, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and improved agricultural waste management
- Raise awareness of the environmental challenges facing agriculture among agricultural players, farmers, farming organizations and political decision-makers
- Provide training to strengthen skills and knowledge in the implementation of sustainable agricultural practices